The Entry and Travel Restrictions for Ethiopia
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, Ethiopia has joined the list of countries that have introduced additional entry requirements to protect public health.
The temporary travel restrictions are intended to help contain the virus and stop it from spreading.
Entry to Ethiopia by Visa
Procedures may be changed by the Ethiopian government at short notice, travelers must check the latest coronavirus restrictions before making plans.
Ethiopia screening on arrival at the Airport
Travelers will have their temperature checked and will be required to complete a health form and answer questions about recent travel and accommodation in Ethiopia.
Note: Additionally, the passenger must indicate if they have experienced any of the symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, a cough, shortness of breath, or a sore throat. Those traveling with any dependents will also be required to complete a form on their behalf.
Ethiopia Passengers Quarantine Requirements
Ethiopia COVID-19 Symptoms During Quarantine
Ethiopia Measures Against COVID-19:
- Face masks must be worn in public spaces
- Shaking hands as a greeting is not allowed
- Reduced public transportation facilities
- Social distancing, people should remain 2 adult strides apart
- No more than 3 diners per table at cafes and restaurants
- Entertainment venues such as theatres and nightclubs are closed
Are Ethiopia’s Land Borders Open?
Rules for Transiting Ethiopia during COVID-19
Other regions where foreign travelers should be careful when visiting are:
- Somali Regional State
- Benishangul Gumuz and the western part of Oromia State
- Ethiopia’s Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People’s Region (SNNPR)
- The East Hararge region and the Guji zone of Oromia State
The rest of Ethiopia is generally considered safe for foreign nationals.
As with visiting any country, it is advisable for all travelers to be vigilant of their surroundings and take care of their personal belongings.
General Entry Restrictions for Ethiopia:
The Ethiopia online visa (also known as the Electronic Visa or eVisa for Ethiopia) is available to the majority of travelers.
The eVisa is quick and easy to acquire by completing a simple Ethiopia online visa application form, which takes a matter of minutes to fill in. This accessibility eliminates the need to go to an embassy to apply for a visa, which takes longer to process than the online option.
Find out who is eligible for an eVisa by checking the Ethiopia visa requirements.