Average weather, temperature, and rainfall, in Angola
Angola Average weather, temperature, rainfall: Angola is one of the largest countries in Africa, located in the southern hemisphere and overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, and its climate is tempered by a cool sea current along the coast and by the altitude in the plateau which is found in the interior. The result is a sub-tropical climate almost everywhere. From May to August, ie the austral winter, there is a cool and dry season (called Cacimbo), while in the austral summer, there's usually a hot and rainy season, which runs from mid-September to April in the north-east, from mid-October to April in the center, from November to March in the south, while along the coast, it only goes from February to April in Luanda, and it's almost non-existent on the southern coast (which is therefore desert).
Best time to visit Angola
The best time to visit Angola in its entirety runs from mid-May to August, since it is the coolest and sunniest period, at least in inland areas, while fogs and low clouds are frequent along the coast, but at least it doesn't rain. On the plateau, winter nights are cold, and the temperature can even drop below freezing, especially in the center and south. May and September can be acceptable months as well: they are a bit warmer, which means that the plateau is less cold at night, but during the day, it can get hot in the extreme south, while in the north-east, September is the month when the rains begin, and May when there are the last rains.
Angola cool sea
The cool sea current that flows along the coast, the Benguela Current, makes the climate mild and dry, at least in the central and southern part; in the southernmost part of the coast, the climate is even desert. In inland areas, the rains are generally more abundant than on the coast, but here too, they are more abundant in the center and north because of the greater proximity to the Equator.
Angola different climate zones
Angola has a total of five different climate zones. The coastal areas have a warm desert climate which quickly turns into a warm steppe climate inland and also at the northern part of the coast. The north of Angola is the only area that has a tropical Savannah climate. Angola has roughly two seasons. The winter months are dry and cooler, while summer months are warm, clammy and humid. In the wet season, which runs from October to May, there can sometimes be heavy amounts of rain in the north. The month of April is usually the wettest month.
The Best temperature in Angola
The best time to visit Angola is during the winter months from May to October. Angola's average temperature on the coast is 15,6 degrees Celsius (60 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter and 21 degrees Celsius (70° Fahrenheit) in summer.Interested in more detailed Weather and Climate information?
Please select the city you wish to travel to, or the one closest to your destination. Each selected city will show you the following graphs:
- 1. Average minimum and maximum temperature over the year
- 2. Average monthly precipitation over the year (rainfall, snow)
- 3. Average monthly hours of sunshine over the year
On certain pages we also offer other historical weather data like humidity, wind speed and water temperature.
The best time of year to visit Luanda in Angola
June to July is the dry season making it a good time to visit Luanda in Angola. Also from June till September it's a bit colder than the rest of the year. The wet season starts in September and lasts until May. Ussualy during the wet season the weather is hot and steamy.
Here are some average weather facts we collected from our historical climate data:
- During the month of June, July, August and September you are most likely to experience good weather with pleasant average temperatures that fall between 20 degrees Celsius (68°F) and 25 degrees Celsius (77°F).
- The hottest season / summer is in January, February, March, April, May, November and December.
- The months of March and April have a high chance of precipitation.
- Luanda has dry periods in May, June, July and August.
- The warmest month is March with an average maximum temperature of 30°C (86°F).
- The coldest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 23°C (73°F).
- November is the most wet month. This month should be avoided if you are not a big fan of rain.
- June is the driest month.
- May is the most sunny month.